Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole

I have not tried this yet.  I want the recipe so I can try it when I get home.  It looks like a keeper from reading through it.

1 pound ground sausage
6 Tablespoons butter
6 slices bread - no crusts
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar type cheese
5 eggs
2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt

Sautee sausage until no longer pink and drain well.  Melt butter and pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Tear bread or cut into cubes.  Sprinkle the small pieces of bread evenly over the butter.  Sprinkle sausage over the bread.  Sprinkle cheese over the sausage.  Beat eggs with milk and add salt.  Beat until the eggs are frothy, then pour that mixture over cheese - making sure all the other ingredients are covered.  Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until set.  Serves 5-6 people.

1 comment: