Monday, September 19, 2011

Spice Apple Cupcakes

Tomorrow is one of my seminary students birthday.  I have a hard time taking in a cake or something that is not somewhat for breakfast but is still birthday-like.  I found this recipe and I think it is a keeper.

Spiced Apple Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups Bisquick mix
1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 Tablespoons butter or shortening, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups chopped, peeled apple (about 1 medium)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Place paper baking cups in each of 12 regular sized muffin cups.  In a large bowl, beat all of the cupcake ingredients together except the apple with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat on medium high speed for 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.  Fold in apple.  Spray the bottom of cupcake papers with non-stick cooking spray.  Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.  Bake 17-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Immediately remove cupcakes from pan to cooling rack.  Cool completely.

Note:  There is a frosting recipe that came with this recipe and here it is. 

3/4 cup ready made vanilla frosting
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
Mix together until smooth and spreadable.  Frost cupcakes. 

I hate buying frosting so I made toasted butter frosting.  Here is that recipe:
Toasted Butter Frosting
1/3 cup butter (must be butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoon milk or cream
Heat the butter in a large saucepan until it is a delicate brown.  You must watch it constantly or it will burn and be ruined.  When it starts to foam up - it is just about ready - remove from heat and you should be able to achieve the right color off the heat.  It is better to reheat than to start over. Blend in the confectioners sugar.  Add the vanilla and add enough milk to make it the right consistancy to spread. 

But these are really good just on their own with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

Note:  I sometimes add the vanilla not at all or 1/2 teaspoon at a time.  The butter has such a subtle flavor that it really doesn't need that much vanilla.  My mother always served this frosting with a pecan on each serving.

Just a personal note:  You know how some bakeries sell little cups of frosting to customers?  This is the one and only frosting I would happily buy and eat by the cupful.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Mitchell's mom makes a frosting that sounds really similar to this one that I love, so I'm really excited to try making it, especially because it's from Grandma!

    ReplyDelete