This is Heather's favorite cake. When I am around for her birthday, this is the cake we have. This is a cake recipe that I have found in a Taste of Home magazine that an editor added as a side note. I am so glad she did!
Best Ever Chocolate Cake
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup whole milk
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Melt the 2 ounces chocolate in a saucepan and then whisk into it 1 cup of whole milk. Cook on medium heat until thickened - about 15 minutes. Set aside and let the mixture cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 round 8-inch cake pans or 2 round 9-inch cake pans by greasing and flouring them or spraying them with baking spray.
Cream together butter and then gradually add sugar. Add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. To the 3/4 cup of milk stir in the salt, baking powder and baking soda. Pour into the creamed mixture. Add the flour and blend well. The mixture will be very thick at this point. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, making sure it is blended well and no white is showing. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then finish cooling on cooling racks. Frost with the frosting of your choice or just serve warm.
Note: For high altitude I added 1/8 to 1/4 cup cornstarch to the batter for better results and then made the recipe as above.
2nd Note: I have used the 'emergency' cocoa version of baking chocolate if I haven't had baking chocolate around. Just follow the directions on the side of the cocoa can.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment