Saturday, March 13, 2010

Milk Chocolate Pudding

I have been going through my recipes and throwing away the ones that I will never use. This is my family's all time favorite homemade chocolate pudding recipe. One of our daughters' friend, Hayden put it best when she said it tastes like a thick cup of hot chocolate. Enjoy!

Milk Chocolate Pudding
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups milk (skim milk is fine for this recipe but not as rich)
1 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Stir in chocolate chips and egg. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly so the bottom won't burn (I alternate between a whisk and spoon so I get the sides of the pan). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Spoon into a large bowl or into individual serving bowls. Place plastic wrap over the surface of the pudding so a skin will not form. Cool to room temperature and serve. Our family likes it best with a dollop of freshly whipped cream that has a bit of sugar whipped into it. Makes 4-1/2 cup servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment